Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Morning in the Canyon

A little over four months ago I made my way down a narrow dirt road into Bell Canyon.  Audubon Starr Ranch Sanctuary sat at the bottom, unassuming and soaking in a cool puddle, the product of a late March rain.  Nestled at the eastern edge of a sprawling suburb, 'the ranch' backs onto a vast wilderness bordered by two major state highways. 

It took little time for me to fall in love with this place, and it's easy to see why.  I wake to the cacophonous cries of Acorn Woodpeckers, the crunching footsteps of Mule Deer and the begging chirps of baby birds. This is one of the last wild places left in Orange County  - and I am delighted to call it home for another 9 months...

Munching Mule Deer

Mule Deer are a constant presence at Starr Ranch

I share my home with this aptly named bird: the House Finch

No comments:

Post a Comment